Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Gratitude and reality

The last few weeks I've been getting setup through the VA. They have a great team dedicated to spinal and brain patients and I've had meetings with physical, occupational and speech therapists. Any equipment I may need in the future as well as about half of my supplements are covered by the VA. The Paralyzed Veterans of America have been very helpful in getting me in the system -- a major difference from when I tried to visit the VA a year ago.

Our disability also transitioned from short-term to long-term. It was a few weeks of uncertainty when we found out that the insurance company had an open investigation into the possibility of a pre-existing condition in my case. We were quite happy last week when we found out the news that the investigation was closed and payments resumed.

I've also started to supplement my acupuncture treatments at Northeast Community Acupuncture. They have a sliding scale from $15-40 per treatment. I'm receiving work along the same points as in China. This is really helping out with both cost and convenience. I'm still seeing Donna Peterson @ New Medicine Acupuncture every other week while going to Northeast 3 times a week.

I'm also receiving bodywork from my wonderful wife, Margit -- as well as other practitioners 3-4 times per week.

We are very blessed and fortunate to receive so much support. We are strong in our resolve to do whatever it takes to fight the progression of the disease. My speech has not returned to the level it was when I left China, my upper body strength is quite reduced and I'm struggling with choking while I eat and drink. I also tire easily. But I am still mobile, I'm able to ride my bike and I'm mostly intelligible.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Praise the Lord you are now getting some much needed help. Thank your for the wonderful update. It is nice to know that VA is finally coming through. Sometimes it just takes persistance. You will probably feel better with some of these pressures off of you. With faith and lots of love, Mom.